Tuesday 25 March 2014

Oh my glob......... Princess Bubblegum bowling pin!

I've had this old battered bowling pin for years and just came across it whilst moving house and thought it was a good project to start on. I'm really impressed with how this came out, took me FOREVER...... but was definitely worth it. Here is a breakdown of the steps I took. I wish I had taken photos of the process, but I'll definitely keep that in mind for my next craft project.


  1. Priming the surface-    I got this pin because the bowling alley was throwing out all their old pins and replacing them. As you can imagine it had dents, holes and chipped paint all over, not a good canvas for painting on. I decided to prime the surface using a recipe I found online. I did this for a few reasons: I was poor, wanted to try something new and thought it would be fun to make my own! I wish i could find the link for the recipe but I'm sure you can find your own online. I remember it was a mixture of white paint, water, PVA glue and talc....... which made it smell amazing!!!!! I did at least 3 coats of this, leaving each stage to dry completely overnight. 
  2. Smoothing the surface-   After I was happy with the priming I decided to smooth the surface by sanding. I thought it would be easier and neater when it came to the painting stage. 
  3. Painting-  This was my favourite part, making Princess Bubblegum come to life. I decided on Acrylic paint, mainly for cost and also because I already had some at home. I did look into other paints which may be more chip proof, but as I'm just using this for decoration I decided Acrylic would be just fine.
I wish I had more photos of the process and links to help with anyone wanting to do the same. But as its my first blog post, I'm sure you'll let me off  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment